MINI BELIEVE IT OR NOT –
In an attempt to increase tourism, authorities in Xianfeng village attracted wild macaque monkeys to the village, but now they won’t leave.
- The plan was to create a kind of Chinese Monkey Village
- The locals spent 48 days attracting 73 monkeys to the village with food
- For years, it worked and people were attracted to the monkey village
- But the leader of the company behind the plan died and the money to support the villiage dried up
- The monkey population boomed to 600 and the village couldn’t afford to feed them
- Now the village is overrun by monkeys and they constantly harass the residents
“BIONs” – short for Believe It or Not – is the word we use at Ripley’s to refer to anything that is unbelievable and worthy to become part of Ripley’s lore and collection.