MINI BELIEVE IT OR NOT –
Mount Yasur, a volcano in Vanuatu, is the most active, accessible, volcano in the world, and has been erupting steadily for over 800 years.
- Mount Yasur is located on Tanna Island and stands 1,184 feet (361 meters) above sea level
- The volcano can be seen and heard erupting multiple times a day
- It’s most active during the wet season, from late February to April
- The land around Mount Yasur is all dead and clear of vegetation because of the eruptions
- Tourist regularly visit the volcano and stand on its edge to watch the natural fireworks display
- It was originally documented as erupting by Captain James Cook in 1774, but is believed to have been continuously erupting for long before that
“BIONs” – short for Believe It or Not – is the word we use at Ripley’s to refer to anything that is unbelievable and worthy to become part of Ripley’s lore and collection.