Believe It or Not!
Asteroid 2012 DA14
The name “DA14″ might not sound like much, but DA14 is one mother of an asteroid, and it’s coming very, very close to Earth.
The football field sized asteroid will actually pass Earth by narrowly sliding between the Earth’s and moon’s orbit!
Should I start Doomsday Prepping?
According to NASA, there is a 0% chance of the asteroid hitting Earth. Scientist predict we will not see any impact from the asteroid flyby. Worst case scenario is the asteroid will explode in midair and shower the ground below it with a rock storm.
Just the Facts
- WHEN: Friday Feb. 15th, 2013 at 2:24 p.m. EST.
- SIZE: 150 feet wide, about the size of a football field.
- SPEED: Traveling at 17,450 mph.
- HOW CLOSE TO EARTH: Its closest approach will be 17,200 miles over Sumatra, Indonesia. This is the closest recorded approach of an object this size.
- SATELLITES: DA14 will actually fly CLOSER to Earth than our weather, communication, and navigation satellites that orbit.
- CAN I SEE IT: Not with the naked eye, but sensitive telescopes, infrared cameras, and radar systems will be tracking and recording the asteroid. Or, you can watch NASA live stream the event.
- WHAT ARE THE ODDS: Asteroids this size flyby Earth every 40 years, and impact Earth every 1,200 years.
- SIMILAR EVENT: If DA14 were to collide with Earth, scientists would compare it to an impact that leveled over 500,000 acres of the Siberian forest on 1908. The Tunguska Explosion was a 100-foot-wide asteroid that exploded in the Earth’s atmosphere and impacted the Earth with the same force as a 10-20 megaton nuclear explosion…1,000 times more powerful than the atom bomb dropped on Hiroshima.