The Old Jail

Home to prisoners for over 60 years, the Old Jail in St. Augustine looks more like a resort than a maximum-security facility. The original structure was built in 1891 by Henry Flagler, and although it has been restored and renovated throughout the years, it looks very much the way it did when it opened over a century ago.

Today, visitors to the Old Jail can take a guided tour, learn about the many prisoners and practices that took place here and see where the Sheriff and his wife and family lived— adjacent to where the prisoners were housed.

Local Points of Interest

Street View of Train Stop