MINI BELIEVE IT OR NOT –
While doing routine work on an artifact, officials at the Auschwitz Museum found that a mug in their collection had a false bottom which concealed a gold ring and a necklace.
- Decades of deterioration had worked the false bottom free
- Officials say it’s probably impossible to identify the owner. The mug had not personal marks
- The owner of the ring was almost certainly an inmate at Auschwitz
- The items were probably hidden to keep them out of the hands of the Germans
- The valuables were well hidden since no one knew they were there for over 70 years