MINI BELIEVE IT OR NOT –
In the 1970s, the CIA developed the Insectothopter, an unmanned surveillance drone disguised as a dragonfly.
- The Insectothopter was the size of a dragonfly
- It was painted to look like a dragonfly
- It was powered by a small gasoline engine made by a watchmaker
- And jets of gas were used to propel it forward
- Because it was too difficult to control in even a slight crosswind, the project was abandoned
“BIONs” – short for Believe It or Not – is the word we use at Ripley’s to refer to anything that is unbelievable and worthy to become part of Ripley’s lore and collection.