In an effort to save the 100,000+ sea animals harmed by plastic six-pack rings each year, Saltwater Brewery invented rings that are edible and just as strong as plastic.
- Saltwater Brewery is a Florida-based brewery started by surfers and ocean enthusiasts.
- Plastic debris kills an estimated 100,000 marine mammals annually.
- Most people think cutting the rings is enough, but animals also eat the plastic.
- To combat this longstanding problem, Saltwater Brewery engineered edible six-pack rings.
- The rings are made of barley and wheat that’s already a part of the brewing process.
- Saltwater Brewing is hoping that more beer companies will use the rings in the future.
“BIONs” – short for Believe It or Not – is the word we use at Ripley’s to refer to anything that is unbelievable and worthy to become part of Ripley’s lore and collection.