MINI BELIEVE IT OR NOT –
The tea bag was invented accidentally when New York merchant Thomas Sullivan sent out tea samples in silk bags and customers put them directly into teapots.
- During the Tang Dynasty (618 – 907), tea was placed in folded paper to preserve its flavor
- The first commercial tea bags were successfully marketed in 1904
- Thomas Sullivan was a tea and coffee shop merchant in New York
- He shipped tea bags around the world but intended the tea to be taken out of the bags before brewing
- Customers found it easier to leave the tea in the porous bags
“BIONs” – short for Believe It or Not – is the word we use at Ripley’s to refer to anything that is unbelievable and worthy to become part of Ripley’s lore and collection.