A Summer Sideshow, a Bacon Coffin, a Space & Bicycle Museum, a primer on old time Medicine Shows and a psychic pig! That and more on the July 9 episode of Ripley Radio – An On-Demand Oddcast!
The traditional sideshow acts are back at Quassy Amusement Park this July 9-22 as the Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Summer Sideshow is presented daily at the Middlebury, Conn. family funpark. The amazing Todd Robbins will head up the acts in this historic look back at the golden years of the sideshow. It’s a free show at the free-admission park and you’ll hear all about it this week on Ripley Radio.
[image_border img=”http://www.ripleys.com/weird/files/2012/07/space-bicycle-museum.png” caption=”” pos=”right” border=”true” buffer=”true” /]
One of the most eclectic museums you’ll ever find is the Deke Slayton Memorial Space & Bicycle Museum in Sparta, Wisconsin. From sprockets to rockets, this great little exposition features the evolution of transportation while honoring its home-town hero, one of America’s first astronauts. We talk with the museum’s Alli Karrell and she tells us about the museum and a couple fun events she will be holding this month.
[image_border img=”http://www.ripleys.com/weird/files/2011/07/podcast2.png” caption=”” pos=”left” border=”true” buffer=”true” /]Listen to the Oddcast
[column width=”20%” padding=”15%”][image_border img=”http://www.ripleys.com/weird/files/2011/12/webTalk_partner.png” caption=”” pos=”left” border=”true” buffer=”true” /]
[/column] [column width=”20%” padding=”15%”][image_border img=”http://www.ripleys.com/weird/files/2012/02/stitcher_120x60.jpg” caption=”” pos=”left” border=”true” buffer=”true” /]
[/column] [column width=”20%” padding=”0″] [image_border img=”http://www.ripleys.com/weird/files/2012/02/cyberStation_120x60.jpg” caption=”” pos=”left” border=”true” buffer=”true” /][/column]
Other Weird, Bizarre and Unusually Outrageous Things Discussed this Week:
- A psychic pig has replaced Paul the Octopus as the prognosticator for the World Cup games.
- We’ll learn a few things about Dinosaurs that we never learned in school.
- Ralf talks with the head of a company that makes anything and everything bacon, including a burial coffin.
- Ripley’s sideshow historian, James Taylor tells us that the old time Medicine Shows are very similar to today’s television programming. A lot of pitch and a little bit of entertainment!
- What do you do when you find a horse swimming alone in the ocean, two miles from shore? You rescue it, for sure. We hear from a Coast Guard hero who did just that!
- Ralf covers the latest in weird nude news!
- Maroon 5 provides our musical egress this week with their hit, Payphone.