MINI BELIEVE IT OR NOT –
Honeybees that get drunk on fermented tree sap are denied access to the hive and are often attacked by the sober bees.
- Being drunk effects bees in much the same way it does humans
- Drunk bees have more flying accidents and have a hard time finding their way back to the hive
- If they do make it back, the drunk bees will be attacked by other bees and its legs will be chewed off
- It’s possible that the drunk bee is seen as posing a threat to the safety of the hive
MINI BION EXTRAS
- The honeybee kills more people around the world each year than do all the poisonous snakes in the world put together
- The blood of a honeybee will not clot
- Honeybee undertakers constitute up to 2% of the hive population. And their task is to remove dead bees from the hives
“BIONs” – short for Believe It or Not – is the word we use at Ripley’s to refer to anything that is unbelievable and worthy to become part of Ripley’s lore and collection.