MINI BELIEVE IT OR NOT –
When Spanish explorer Hernán Cortés landed in Mexico in 1519, he sank his own ships to ensure his crew would follow him inland.
- In 1518, Cortés was ordered to explore the interior of Mexico
- At the last minute, Velázquez changed Cortés’ orders
- Cortés ignored his new orders and decided to do what he wanted
- This decision was an act of mutiny, and some of his crew weren’t fully in agreement
- Worried that his crew might desert him, Cortés scuttled his ships and left the men no choice but to follow him
“BIONs” – short for Believe It or Not – is the word we use at Ripley’s to refer to anything that is unbelievable and worthy to become part of Ripley’s lore and collection.