MINI BELIEVE IT OR NOT –
In 1973, Maurice and Maralyn Bailey survived 117 days drifting out in the Pacific Ocean.
- The couple was sailing from Southampton, England to New Zealand
- On March 4th, their yacht was struck by a whale and damaged
- As the ship was sinking, they collected supplies and some food into a dinghy
- They saw seven different ships as they drifted but couldn’t attract any of the ship’s attention; their flares didn’t work
- Maurice and Maralyn Bailey were rescued on June 30th
- Their experience was put in a book
“BIONs” – short for Believe It or Not – is the word we use at Ripley’s to refer to anything that is unbelievable and worthy to become part of Ripley’s lore and collection.