MINI BELIEVE IT OR NOT –
Studying data collected in the ’70s, scientists discovered that the moon has regular moonquakes.
- Between 1969 and 1972, Apollo astronauts placed seismometers on the moon
- Scientists discovered there are four different types of moonquakes
- Deep quakes are caused by tides and happen about 700 km below the surface
- Vibrations from the impact of meteorites
- Thermal quakes are caused by the expansion of crust when it first reaches the sun after two weeks of lunar night
- And shallow quakes that happen 20-30 km below the surface
- The quakes can register up to a 5.5 on the Richter scale and last longer than 10 minutes
“BIONs” – short for Believe It or Not – is the word we use at Ripley’s to refer to anything that is unbelievable and worthy to become part of Ripley’s lore and collection.