MINI BELIEVE IT OR NOT –
Play-Doh was invented during the Great Depression as a way to safely clean wallpaper.
- Kutol, the soap company that created Play-Doh, was struggling during the Great Depression
- People had started heating their homes with coal-burning fireplaces, which were messy
- Kroger asked Kutol if they had a product that could clean wallpaper without stripping it from the walls
- The leader of the company said yes even though he didn’t
- He contacted his brother and asked him to invent something. Play-Doh was invented to be rubbed on the wall paper and remove soot
MINI BION EXTRAS
- To mark the U.K. launch of the Chevrolet Orlando, eight model makers spent two weeks handcrafting a life-size replica car from Play-Doh modeling clay. It was 15 feet long and took 10,000 pots of Play-Doh.
“BIONs” – short for Believe It or Not – is the word we use at Ripley’s to refer to anything that is unbelievable and worthy to become part of Ripley’s lore and collection.