MINI BELIEVE IT OR NOT –
Scallops have up to 100 eyes!
- Their eyes rely on a concave, parabolic mirror of guanine crystals instead of a lens like other animals
- Their eyes possess a double-layered retina, the outer retina responding most strongly to light and the inner to abrupt darkness
- Scallops have exceptional contrast definition as well as the ability to detect changing patterns of light and motion
MINI BION EXTRAS
- The queen scallop shoots water like a form of jet propulsion to escape its enemies
- The northern scallop is considered a food delicacy in Iceland, but it is difficult to cook because it keeps jumping out of the pot
- Some scallops swim through the ocean by flapping their shell
- The mantis shrimp has one of the most elaborate visual systems ever discovered, and can see ultraviolet and infrared light—both invisible to the human eye!
“BIONs” – short for Believe It or Not – is the word we use at Ripley’s to refer to anything that is unbelievable and worthy to become part of Ripley’s lore and collection.