MINI BELIEVE IT OR NOT –
Two students from George Mason University invented, and got a patent for, a fire extinguisher that uses sound waves to put out fire.
- Viet Tran and Seth Robertson were seniors when they had a radical idea for their final project
- Their invention extinguishes fire using nothing but sound waves
- Initially, they thought higher frequencies would be better, but they found that bass worked best
- Their audio fire extinguisher would be a better option than regular extinguishers
- The extinguisher doesn’t rely on chemicals and wouldn’t cause water damage
- There’s even an idea to attach it to a drone and using it to fight forest fires
“BIONs” – short for Believe It or Not – is the word we use at Ripley’s to refer to anything that is unbelievable and worthy to become part of Ripley’s lore and collection.