If you look closely at Lincoln’s Second Inaugural Address carved into the North wall of the Memorial, you’ll notice a slight typo to one of the letters.
- Construction on the Lincoln Memorial began in 1914
- WWI delayed construction, and the Memorial didn’t open to the public until 1922
- Lincoln’s second inaugural addressed, issued on March 4, 1865, is engraved on the wall of the monument
- The engraver accidentally chiseled out an ‘E’ where he meant to put an ‘F’
- The bottom line of the ‘E’ was filled in so it was turned back into an ‘F’
- If you look closely, you can just see the difference