Mini Believe It or Not –
The world’s first webcam was created to monitor a coffee pot at Cambridge University.
- It was called the Trojan Room Coffee Pot
- The camera was installed in 1991
- It was located outside the computer lab of the University of Cambridge
- It let people in the building know the status of coffee by displaying a live 128×128 greyscale image of the pot
- The last photo the webcam took was in 2001 when the computer department moved. The photo showed the server being switched off.
MINI BION EXTRAS
- Finland is the world’s coffee drinking capital, with adults drinking an average of 4 cups of coffee per day—that’s 3 times more than Americans drink.
- Composer J.S. Bach wrote a cantata about the dangers of coffee addiction in the 1730s, and it was first performed in a coffee house.
- Coffee doesn’t come from beans–its actually made from a seed called a bean!
- A café in Tokyo, Japan, has adopted some goats for customers to pet while they are drinking coffee.
- Marty bacon, from England, has created a car powered by coffee that can reach 65 mph!
“BIONs” – short for Believe It or Not – is the word we use at Ripley’s to refer to anything that is unbelievable and worthy to become part of Ripley’s lore and collection.